Tuesday, March 14, 2017

Snowmageddon Preperation

I have to confess that I chuckle when everyone is running around last minute preparing for an impending snowstorm. It really is simple and easy to develop your Basic Disaster Supply Kit, unless you LIKE hustling the store with the hoard to pluck that last roll of t.p. from the shelf.  With a little time, money and effort you could be prepared next time. This is a picture of what I put together for my mom. It will give you an idea of the types of food and other equipment to put in your kit.



A basic emergency supply kit (I got my mom a plastic bin to store her kit in the closet) could include the following recommended items:
  • Water, one gallon of water per person per day for at least three days, for drinking and sanitation. I actually recommend a gallon & a half to two gallons a day per person. One gallon is barely enough for drinking. NOTE: DON'T get the type of water in the milk carton type jug. It will leak over time. 
  • Food, at least a three-day supply of non-perishable food. Preferably food that doesn't require extra water.  
  • Battery-powered or hand crank radio and a NOAA Weather Radio with tone alert and extra batteries for both
(My mom's hand cranked power radio and her kerosine lantern)

  • Flashlight and extra batteries, matches or lighter. 
  • First aid kit
  • Moist towelettes, garbage bags and plastic ties for personal sanitation
  • Manual can opener for food
  • Local maps
  • Cell phone with chargers, inverter or solar charger
  • Toilet paper
I would recommend some sort of heat source even if it is just emergency blankets. Through a modern miracle called the internet, you are able to actually buy most of this stuff online.
Go ahead and do it now. When it arrives, put it in a bin and in a closet. Avoid the last minute race to the store next time, because you have everything you need already. Next time you will be able to chuckle like me.

First you can actually shop for food and other items at Walmart. In a lot of areas, you are able to shop online and arrange to pick it up outside the store and they will put your order in your car. It's pretty nifty.

I have done some shopping for you. These are some of the items I have in my personal emergency kit. The first item, a lantern is fantastic! It produces a lot of light & you can actually heat a cup of water, soup etc, on top of it, if need be. You will want extra candles. 
Your order is so very appreciated, because anything ordered through my Amazon Associate links helps me to be able to stay home and write for you.

  
 

Perky Gramma Teaches is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.


No comments:

Post a Comment