Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Learning to Save Pawpaw Seeds

Everyday is something new at the farmette and today I was specifically learning to save Pawpaw seeds. I have been studying up a lot of various plants we have on the property and plants we want to grow.
I generally buy all my seeds from Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds have saved some seeds before. I swear I had tasted pawpaw before and didn't like it. But this week a friend gifted us with  four special pawpaw fruits and I tried again. I dipped my spoon in the pulp and was amazed at the creamy,soft, custardy, slightly mango'ish taste. Totally fell in love.
But of course the real reason, was to eat them to harvest the seeds and prepare them for storage to plant in the spring. I was using this "How to Handle Paw Paw Seeds" from the Ohio Pawpaw Growers Association a my guide.

I started by cutting them and peeling  & taking the pulp out by edging it on the top of a glass. Worked like a charm.


 

I squeezed & separated the seeds out from the pulp. I must admit I popped them  in my mouth to remove most of the pulp. it's a tough sacrifice to make, but one I was willing to make for future propagation of this tasty treat. Then I rinsed them thoroughly. 
One of the most important things I learned is they must be stored moist. So I had about one cup of seeds and layered it into one cup of moist planting medium. Voila!
Into the fridge they went.










I thought I was going to make a tasty dessert for Mr. Perky and I have have this evening, but that will have to wait until the next time since I gobbled up all the tasty fruit myself. 

Things I used or ordered this week: the book on propagation is particularly one I have found helpful. It was recommended by the same friend that gave us the pawpaws.

 
I participate in the Amazon Associate program, where I receive a small % commission for linking products that I recommend. I only recommend products I personally used and like. Your support is very appreciated, anything you choose to purchase through my link, is helping me to be able to share more things that I do with you. Perky Gramma Teaches Amazon link.



No comments:

Post a Comment