Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Storing chocolate and other happy items...

I just received a box of Russell Stover's Chocolates in the mail. Why? I LOVE chocolate. Various people are known for different skills. Believe it not I am known for storing chocolate, because I like specific types of chocolate: dark chocolate with stuff in it. I will have special candy shipped from Russell Stover's or go to Trader Joe's and stock up. I buy in quantity and then vacuum seal the chocolate into canning jars. Yep. I think chocolate is extremely important. I eat; therefore I store so I never run out of chocolate. 



Actually the Food Saver does just that. Saves food. When it comes to storing meat in the freezer, it increases the shelf life by years!
When you purchase your Food Saver you need to insure that it has an “accessory port”. 
This is the accessory tube. It is hidden in the bottom of the Food Saver.



Note these empty jars. They held biscotti and chocolate candy, which I had used (eaten) So, true to my word, I purchased twice the amount that I ate to add to my storage.



Here are the jars waiting to be sealed...





Now I often will do a large batch of sealing at a time. You simply place the attachment on a jar with a lid (with out the ring), insert the tube into a little hole on the top of the lid attachment & hit the accessory button. When it stops, you remove the attachment. That's it.

Here is an example:

We use our Food Saver Attachments frequently.  You can find the attachments for sale on Amazon for under $10 each. I recommend getting both the wide mouth and regular mouth attachment. This is what the boxes look like for the attachments.



Canning jars are a very cost effective way to store food items, especially when you like to stock up on certain times or when you buy in bulk. When vacuum sealed (which removes the air from the jar) and stored in a dark cool place, you extend the shelf life for many years.
TIPS: If you  are having difficulty getting a seal, try placing two lids on top, then the attachment. It will only seal the bottom lid.

If you are doing a powder type product, you can either place in individual plastic bags OR add a small coffee filter on the top of the jar to stop the fine powder from being sucked up into the tubing.

Feel free to add our own personal tips here or on Facebook & I will edit this post so we will now have a centralized location to refer people too, who are having questions.

Another tip from Tammy Milasmom: Try taking out the Food Saver attachment's gasket and then reinstalling it. I have to do that constantly to get it to work



What I do here is simply share our journey of becoming debt free, teach vintage skills and living a new life on our farmette. We would love it if your joined our Perky Gramma Teaches community on Facebook, comment or share. Plus it would just make my day.

.                   

Your order is so very appreciated, because anything ordered through my Amazon Associate links helps me to be able to stay home and write for you.
Perky Gramma Teaches is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.


No comments:

Post a Comment