Thursday, June 18, 2015

One of the Finest Treasures...

It was Thanksgiving in the mid-30's I believe, the family and the Reverend were gathered around the dining room table on the farm in Southern, IL. There was Gramma & Grampa Hooppaw (that would be my great-grandparents), some mixture of their 10 children, spouses & some young children...
They didn't have a lot, but their hearts were full of joy. The bounty was abounding that day and each person signed a quilt square, including the preacher. 

My Grandfather Loammi Revis Hooppaw, Grandmother Dorothy Mae & my uncle.
Mom was added later. 

Afterwards, they always gathered around the piano & sang out of the old church hymnal. That tradition carried on for many, many years and to this day the cousins still get together to remember how we are all stitched together as family.

Later MY grandmother, hand stitched their names from that Thanksgiving long ago and turned that into a lasting treasure of memories with now graces my home. I am starting on a new journey. As I sort through these valued memories I am learning these are the "things" that mean the most to me. Who knew several generations later, I would be moving to start a little farm. I carry this quilt to my new home and along with the of voices from the past as I wrap myself up in one of my finest treasures.


 "Riches I heed not nor man's empty praise
Thou mine inheritance now and always
Thou and thou only first in my heart
High King of heaven my treasure Thou are"

No comments:

Post a Comment